Friday 7 November 2014

Balancing the ship

'Vigyan Khel Ghar', the center I started for the project for my children is finally on its way of taking shape. As of 7th Nov. there have been a total of nine sessions with children that have been taking place twice a week, Fridays and Sundays. A total of twelve children had paid the initial amount of Rs. 20 for admitting in the center and have been quite regular.

Regular sessions are happening, many new toys, craft activities and games are taking place. Children are enjoying indeed. Not just because of the activities, but more because of the freedom I have tried to give them. They are free to play among themselves and chat. They like spending time with each other. Though there are also quarrels among them which take place occasionally. The center acts as a medium to bring them together. This has been the main achievement so far.

What it have been lacking is a structure, structure of how things will move in the session. I waited for it to evolve slowly on its own, where children can understand what problems are being faced or what the center needs to run efficiently and decide on things to be done based on these needs. It includes how activities and materials will be managed, who will take what responsibility, etc. Without this, it had been difficult to manage sessions when things often get chaotic and the facilitator (that is me) loose control of the group. Slowly this is taking shape and sessions are now in a direction to be more organised. This has been another small achievement. There are many learning opportunities in this which I want to bring up. I don't have a teacher yet to assist but hoping of one to join from the next session. I am also involved in making a Teacher Training Module for a larger group of trainees which I can use at a later stage.

As I am knowing the children more and more especially through the free chatting that have been taking place among themselves, I find many issues especially among the elder children which I feel a need to pay attention. Though I am not sure how am I going to do that but am in the process.

About me, I feel a more confident now than before. May be because of the small successes that I have been seeing. Though my goal of learning to take place in a more organised manner is still far away and I have been constantly thinking of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment